Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Log compression in Log shipping


This is my first post and I wish to share my experiences with you,which can be helped in your day to day work.


When I was configuring Log shipping in SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition, I noticed that log files were too large to copy via VPN links. So I had to try to compress Log file from Log shipping option, but Log compression option was not available.




But in Database backup option, Backup compression option is available.



So !!! SQL engine can compress the backup,if it is not available in Log shipping option, How do I compress my log shipping backups?

Solution is,



In msdb, you can find table call [dbo].[log_shipping_primary_databases] where all the information about log shipping primary databases save and Table has a Column call backup_compression. It shows the backup compression status.




Value and meaning of Column backup_compression
0         Disable
1         Enable
2         Server default        

Once you change the value in to 1 and you may able to compress the backup









1 comment: